St. Joseph’s Ukrainian Catholic Church was founded in 1952. The Ukrainian Catholic Redemptorists (Yorkton Province) have served the parish from day St. Joseph’s Ukrainian Catholic Church was founded in 1952. The Ukrainian Catholic Redemptorists (Yorkton Province) have served the parish from day one. The first pastor was Fr. Joseph Denischuk CSsR.
The Redemptorists, a world wide missionary religious community numbering over 5000 priests and brothers, was founded by St. Alphonsus in 1732. In 1906, the Redemptorist, Fr. Delaere, for the first time celebrated the Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom. Thus, with this event, began the mission of the Yorkton Province, which includes St. Joseph’s in Winnipeg.
From very humble beginnings, the parish of St. Joseph’s has become a strong community of faith. For over 65 years, many dedicated, hard working, faith filled people, blessed by God, have made St. Joseph’s a welcoming community where one can encounter the living Christ through prayer and community.
As one enters St. Joseph’s, it is easy to sense the prayerful atmosphere that is enhanced, by its liturgical artwork: icons, mosaics and stained glass. St. Joseph’s is also home to the Shrine and Museum of Bishop & Martyr Blessed Vasyl Velychkovsky, CSsR, who was beatified by St. Pope John Paul II in 2001. Many people seek his intercession as they pray before his relics in the Shrine chapel.
Many parishioners and parish organizations share their gifts and talents, not only in the parish, but also beyond. Whether it is working at a soup kitchen, distributing winter clothes, or through our parish’s special relationship with Holy Family Home and The Welcome Home, God’s blessings flow through the parishioners of St. Joseph’s to others.